Frequently Asked Questions

I have been paying "permanent" alimony for many years. My divorce papers say that it terminates upon my death or my spouse's remarriage. My ex spouse has been living with someone for about a year and I am tired of supporting them. What can I do?

You can file a Petition for Modification of Alimony. To do so, you must show a substantial change of circumstances. Certainly your ex spouse residing with someone else is a change of circumstances, but the court looks further - such as whether or not the cohabitation constitutes an economically supportive relationship. This obviously could extend to same sex live-in relationships as well.