Frequently Asked Questions

I believe my child's step parent is abusing him/her. What steps can I take?

First, you must contact the authorities, such as the police and/or the Department of Children and Families. Depending on the circumstances, you should also obtain a restraining order on behalf of your child, against the parent or step-parent who is or may be abusing the child. Again, depending on the circumstances, you should receive an expedited hearing so the court can determine what is in the best interest of the child.